A grandmother is a mother who has a second chance

Monday, February 5, 2007

Da Bears

For most people, yesterday was just another Super Bowl Sunday - decent game, some good ads, lots of junk food. But for me it was also a bit meloncholy. My dad is living in a nursing home in Chicago and yesterday his Bears were playing! Their first Super Bowl since 1985! He's been following every game and was very excited about the big event. Even though he had to watch it alone in his room at the home (which broke my heart), he was still looking forward to it.

Then they lost.

Normally I don't care who wins the game, but yesterday I was truly hoping for a Bears win for my Dad. No way of knowing how many Super Bowls he has left to watch, and I so wanted to buy him souveniers from the game like I did when his other beloved team - the Chicago White Sox - won the World Series a couple of years ago. He still uses the blanket and pillow I bought after that game.

But, his spirits were good today - he cursed the quarterback and the rain, and said that he was looking forward to next year. Me too, Dad. Go Bears!!

No comments: