A grandmother is a mother who has a second chance

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

When You Wish Upon A Star................

My daughter commented that perhaps I could watch her kids again next weekend! Isn't that adorable........

Actually, this weekend I'll be in Disneyland! The Happiest Place on Earth! I've always been a shameless Disneyland junkie, and my daughter definitely inherited the "condition". The Magic Kindom opened in July, 1955 - one day before my 9th birthday. My first trip there was in 1956 and I was totally in awe. Walking down Main Street was magical - flower stands, the Carnation Ice Cream Parlor, the General Store where you could listen to conversations from the early 1900's - so many wonderful things.

But my favorite land was Tomorrowland and my favorite attraction was the House of Tomorrow . It was round and up on stilts. They had incredible futuristic things like TV's that hung on walls, ranges that would cook food with special waves, a device that allowed you to turn on the tv without getting up, even a lamp you could turn on by clapping your hands! I loved it! My dad and I loved science fiction and anything to do with the future. I never bought the Mad Maxx version of the future so this house and all the things in it had to be true.

There was also the GE Carousel of Progress and the People Mover - not sure if they were there in the beginning, but they were part of the magic of Tomorrowland.

Back then there wasn't a New Orleans Square or Space Mountain or Thunder Mountain Railroad. But there was the Matterhorn, the Monorail, and Tinkerbell flying from Sleeping Beauty's castle to the top of the mountain before the fireworks started. I always hated to leave - in fact I would walk backwards out of the park so I could continue to look at the lights (being less than agile, my mom was always thrilled about this!!).

As I grew up we traveled from Tucson to Anaheim often - it was especially nice to have a cousin living in Anaheim so the trip was more affordable for my family. As an adult, I went there when I was 7 months pregnant, and took my kids there for the first time when they were 5 (they're twins). The year they turned 10 was very difficult for me - they were growing up so fast. So I decided that we would spend their 10th birthday at Disneyland. Any excuse to go!! And we went there every summer for the next 3 or 4 years.

Even now, when I go to Disneyland, I need to walk in the first time via Main Street. And I still get the same feelings I had that day in 1956 - the place has changed, but the excitement hasn't.

I asked Vika and Eamon what they would like me to buy them at Disneyland. Vika threw open her arms and said, "Anything!!!" Eamon wants cookies!

At the end of the day, I still leave the Park walking under the lights of Main Street - and for the last several steps I still walk backwards.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I'm so, so jealous... Wish I was going to Disneyland this weekend too.

Have a magical day!