A grandmother is a mother who has a second chance

Friday, April 27, 2007

Get Ready, Get Set, Go......

So, tomorrow is my daughter and her husband's 5th wedding anniversary. In order for them to have a nice quiet weekend together, Ed and I are watching Vika and Eamon. We've been trying to catch up on sleep all week to have the energy for them! It's always great fun to have the here, but when they leave, we feel like we've run a marathon. Once your own kids have grown, you tend to forget how much energy toddlers have. Jenni called me at work at 9:30 this morning to see if their weekend could start several hours early. Seems that Vika was being a girl, or something.

At home they sleep until 8:00 or 8:30am every morning. Oh, no, not here! Last visit they were up at 7:00 am - I could hear them in their room whispering, then the patter of little feet, then they were by my bed. Giggling. When I opened my eyes, they were standing there grinning so proudly and ready to roll........

Jenni's wedding was also great fun - although quite emotional for me. Being Jenni, she didn't stick with tradition. She had bowls of goldfish for centerpieces. Her brother was her Man or Honor. Her dad and I walked her down the aisle to Abba's "I Do, I Do, I Do". Of course, if you hear her side of it, I was running down the aisle. Apparently, I walked too fast and we got to the front before the music ended - so we just had to stand there for a bit. She also tells me that, at one point, I told her I couldn't walk her down the aisle because it was too overwhelming. I don't remember any of that. I DO remember crying a lot that day!
Eventually I recovered from the sob-fest and did quite well. Until Jeff presented a slide show they had put together of pictures of them as kids, and when they were dating. Boy, did the tears flow then. I hate being such a wimp. But almost anything involving my kids also involves tears. I'll be another total wreck on May 6th when my son gets married!

But, here it is - five years and two kids later. I've seen my daughter and her husband develop into such a caring, respectful, compassionate couple. They both have wonderful senses of humor which they've bestowed on their children. Few things (maybe nothing) are as satisfying as seeing your children grow into awesome adults - the kind of people you would want as friends if you just met them.

Happy Anniversary Jenni and Jeff! Have a wonderful weekend - and don't forget to pick up the kids on Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Wendy said...

I had an outside wedding underneath an arbor like that too. It was beautiful and your daughters looks like it was too. I wish I had thought of the fish thing. That is totally something I would do. I made all my centerpeices, swags, etc myself since that is what I did for a living at the time. Fish would have been so much easier!

Anonymous said...

I remember that day! And I came home with 2 goldfish that I named Sonny & Cher. And I cried quite a bit too at Jenni's wedding. But I'm a sap too.

Have fun with the grandkids! Maybe you can teach them to sing ABBA :-)

Heart of Rachel said...

Belated Happy Anniversary to your daughter, Jenni and husband, Jeff. I love the idea of bowls of goldfish for centerpieces. A unique and lovely idea. The picture shows how happy everyone was on that special day. Wishing them both many more promising years together.

Desert Diva said...

You seem like such a good mom. Happy Anniversary to the "happy couple."

Jenni said...

Thanks Mom! Both for your nice words and for taking the kids this weekend!

Arlene said...

So sweet of you guys to keep the grandkids for them :-) And they look so happy together in all the pics I see of them :-)
I already cry over everything that has to do with my kids, so I know I'll be a mess when it comes time for weddings and babies :-)