A grandmother is a mother who has a second chance

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day!


Mother's Day is always a little bittersweet for me. My mom passed away 13 years ago and I lost both my mother and my best friend that day. At times I look back on my mouthy, know-it-all teen years and cringe at some of the things I said to her. Geez, she was so out of touch with the "real" world and didn't understand anything I was going through.... I know so many of my remarks and moods hurt her and there's no way I can take any of them back, but we did get past that and by the time I was in my early 20's, she somehow became "smarter" and also became my best friend. Even during the three years I lived in Colorado, and after I moved to California, Mom and I talked on the phone at least 3-4 times a week. When we were both living in Tucson it was daily. About anything - a joke, a tv show, a recipe, gossip about some family member, telling her something the kids had done, just to connect and say hi. When I was feeling overwhelmed or sad, one phone call to her and I always felt better. We laughed a lot. And, surprisingly, she really DID understand the world and me and life!


Now she's gone and there is a hole that will never totally be filled. However, on the other side of the coin, I'm a mother to two incredible people, and my daughter is now a mother. So the circle of life continues and on Mother's Day we still have so much to celebrate and be thankful for.

I consider myself extremely lucky that my daughter and I have a similar relationship to the one I had with my Mom. Yes, we've definitely had our tough times. But she's my best friend. We talk almost daily (often more than once), we have a great deal in common, and probably know each other better than anyone else knows us.
And to see your daughter become a mother, and such a great mother, is almost beyond words.
So, here's a Happy Mother's Day wish to my Mom, my daughter Jenni and all the other special mothers in my life - Angie, Brandi, Wendy, Jerre, Gretchen, Marilyn, Nicki. May your children (and grandchildren) continue to bring you joy and love.

7 comments:

Scoobers said...

Happy Mother's Day, Sandi!
Have a great day.

: )

Kathy

Jenni said...

Thanks Mom. :)

Susie said...

Aw, what a lovely tribute. Happy Mother's Day, Sandi, to you and all the special mothers in your life :)

Desert Diva said...

What beautiful memories for Mother's Day. I'll bet you're a wonderful mom!

Wendy said...

Happy Mother's Day...a little late, sorry. Hope your day was great!

tunia said...

happy mother's day!

Arlene said...

What great pictures!!!
I always wanted that mom/best friend thing. I hope I can be that for my daughter!