A grandmother is a mother who has a second chance

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Birthday, Ed (oh, and Happy Flag Day)

Today is Ed's birthday. He's 61! I'm 11 months older than him, but for at least the next 30-ish days we'll be the same age. Ed hates his birthday because it means he's getting older. I keep trying to convince him to be grateful for each one because that's one more year of adventures that we've had together. But he can be a poop sometimes. I just recently got him to be comfortable using AARP and senior discounts. What the heck - we've earned it!! Because he doesn't like his birthday and doesn't want a big hoopla over it, that automatically puts me in "hoopla" mode. I'm not above embarrassing the old codger. Heh, heh, heh.

Lest we forget, today is Flag Day. When I was in college, I met my first love who's birthday was June 14th. I find it interesting that my first great love and my last great love have the same birthday - don't you?!?

Here's a photo of Ed as a baby with his Mom.

Here he is on his 8th birthday. I'm guessing the hat was home-made!



At his big 60 party last summer.

And here's a photo of us doing what we do best - eating out (this was his birthday in 2006).

So, to my dear Ed - thank you for the past 9 years. They have been the best of my life. And here's to at least 20 more years together laughing, travelling, spending time with our family, and retirement!

I love you, sweetie.

6 comments:

Nikki said...

OH Happy Birthday ED..and congrats to both of you for being so cute and happy together...I wish you all the best with eachother! :)N

Desert Diva said...

How sweet - you and Ed are lucky to have each other! Happy Birthday Ed!

tunia said...

Happy Birthday Ed! :)

Chatterness said...

Happy B-Day, Ed!!! I just have this image of you reclining in the driver's seat of your car at the gas station while Sandi munched on pretzels!! LOL

namaste said...

i don't know how i missed this! HAPPY BIRTHDAY ed! sorry to be so late here.

~m

Jenni said...

Happy birthday Eddo!