A grandmother is a mother who has a second chance

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Happy Birthday!!


Yesterday was my babies' 35th birthday! We actually celebrated last Friday with dinner at Chevy's. I've been so lucky with Joe and Jenni. Even through the angst of their teen years, the problems we had were so small compared to the horror stories I hear some parents tell. They were wonderful and loving kids, tolerable teenagers, and have both turned into incredible adults.

They started out so tiny, but now both tower over me. Of course, at 5' 2", most people tower over me.


And they've always been close which is a gift to all of us. I have so many indelible memories from the past 35 years that never fail to bring a smile to my face and a flutter to my heart. And I miss the days when they were young and we all still lived together.

But, as any mother knows, no matter how old your kids get, when they say "Love you, mom" the little heart flutter resurrects, the clock rolls back and they're your babies again.

8 comments:

Desert Diva said...

OK, this one brought tears to my eyes. What a great thing to be a mother with absolutely wonderful children.

I love the "then and now" photos - it's incredible how tiny they were (you looked beautiful by the way).

Happy birthday to the "kids" and kudos to you as their mother!

Unknown said...

I think that as a mom, the birthdays are as important to you as they are to the kids.

Jenni said...

Thanks mom.

MYM said...

Awww..such a wonderful post :)

Melissa said...

I hear ya. My heart goes pitter pat when my baby tells me she loves me.

Nikki said...

tell me what are those babies doing up by your head??? Happy B-day to the babies! :)N

Chatterness said...

Ohhhhhhhh Sandiiiiiiii.......

Happy B Day to your baby!!! Loved your photos!

namaste said...

happy birthday to your babies!! great post, sandi! you guys are GORGEOUS!