A grandmother is a mother who has a second chance

Monday, June 28, 2010

Wonder if there's an app for that...

When I was a kid I wanted to be a doctor. Didn't want to go to school and spend all the time becoming a doctor - just wantd to wake up one day and be one!

Same thing for playing the piano. Practice be damned, I just want to be able to play ragtime or any old thing my little heart desires.

But, alas, neither of those came to fruition. Can't imagine why.....

Today I remembered one other profession that always seemed very cool to me - bank teller. No, it wasn't my desire to sit behind a cage all day dealing with the masses. Nope, didn't want to have to balance my account every night. Didn't particularly want to handle all that dirty money. But the stamps! How I loved the sound of all those stamps on the marble countertops. My mom would give the teller some money or a piece of paper, and the stamping frenzy would begin. Bang, bang, bang the teller would stamp several pieces of paper, put some in a drawer, give something back to Mom, sometimes money was exchanged. The sound of stamp hitting marble seemed so grownup and melodical.

So now I have several stamps at my desk and sometimes I stamp things just for the thrill of it. Now don't try to tell me you don't have any little quirks like that! Come on, come clean. You know you want to.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Great Post! You don't even want to know my quirks! ;)
I did however want to be a nurse and guess what? I am...:)

Desert Diva said...

I used to have stamps for papers that kids tuned in when I taught school...

Desert Diva said...

I used to use stamps on graded papers when I taught school...

Jenni said...

If I had know you had such a love of stamps, I would have let you grade all my papers this year!