A grandmother is a mother who has a second chance

Sunday, August 3, 2008

At the Movies

I wrote once before about how much I love movies. I love going to the theater, renting a DVD, or watching a good old black and white on TCM. I even enjoy watching them on my DVD player while I'm on the treadmill. Now that's saying somethin'.

And sometimes the very experience of watching a movie can be quite memorable.

Cinderella - this is one of the first movies I remember seeing. I was on a "date" with my dad and it was a very special afternoon.

King and I, Carousel - in high school my girlfriend and I went to see this double feature not really knowing what they were about. We had one kleenex between us. Have you ever seen Carousel? The tears start early on and continue through much of the movie. We were sobbing and wiping our eyes and noses on our sleeves. Quite the sight.

Grand Prix - when I was in college, a bunch of us went to see this one. I'm not a big racing fan - in fact I'm not even a little racing fan. But the gang was going so I went. Got there a bit late. Had to sit in the FRONT ROW! Now, the front row is bad enough with any movie because you neck hurts from leaning back. But take my advice and don't try it with a high motion movie like this one. I was sick for three days afterward.

Repulsion - a little arty thing from France. Very scary. Also saw it with a group of friends from college and I drove five of us to the theater. When we got out, we were all still a bit freaked out. We got into the car, my still shaking hands started the engine, and we drove back to the center where we had all met. When we arrived, I discovered that I had driven the whole way without my headlights. They laughed, I had visions of a cop seeing me drive sans lights and arresting me. My mom would not be happy.

Wait Until Dark - another scary movie with Audrey Hepburn. Back in those days, there weren't many movie theaters in Tucson so there was a huge crowd to see this movie. We were standing in the middle of a herd of people waiting for the doors to open. In front of me was a very large man with a black wool jacket on. The crowd began pushing it's way into the door. Being short, my face was stuck in the middle of his jacket. It was night and I couldn't see much around me. Claustrophobia kicked in and I had to bolt. My date and I finally made it in after I calmed down a bit. First and last date I might add.

Rocky 2 or 3 - Jenni will remember which one it was. But the kids and I decided to go on opening night. And the kids wanted to be the first ones in the line. So we got there two or three hours before the movie started. Found our spot on the sidewalk. We were the first ones there! I went to get us something from McDonalds and we had a picnic on the sidewalk. This was such a big event in Tucson that the news crews were out there and we even got on tv as the first in line. I don't remember much about the movie (which is probably a good thing), but the time leading up to it is a fond memory.

Richard Gere - Yes, I know that's not a movie. But my friend, Mo, and I would periodically have movie marathon days. Pick a theme, rent 4 movies, and prepare the menu. We'd have croissants, fruit and coffee with the morning movie. Then popcorn for movie #2. Lunch was pasta salad and wine to accompany movie #3. And the last flick was watched with bowls of ice cream. Our favorite "theme" was anything Richard Gere.

Braveheart - Jenni and I went to see this at one of those $1 theaters. We should have taken note of the security people outside by the door. Not the best crowd in this theater. While we're watching the movie, people are talking to each other like they were in their living rooms. One man was yelling at his kid. A girl a couple of rows in front of us kept standing up to put on or remove her coat. No more dollar shows for me.

Independence Day - a man sat next to me in the theater. We chatted a bit before the movie - nothing major just the usual "Hi, yes I've been looking forward to this movie" sort of thing. When the movie started I noticed that about 15 minutes in he fell asleep! Then about 5 miutes later he woke up, tapped me on the shoulder, and asked "What happened?" OK, one time I might be able to deal with. But he did that through the whole movie. Sleep, tap, "what happened". WTF!

Mystery Alaska - totally not a memorable movie, but it was the first one Ed and I saw together. And almost our last date! Turns out he's one of those people who talk during movies. I was mildly horrified and ignored most of his comments and/or questions. But, I liked him enough to give him another chance. Later on I told him how that drives me nuts so now he zips it when we go to a movie. Smart man.

Any fun movie memories out there?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved reading the movie list. Some I have not thought of lately, like that truly scary Wait Until Dark. Not your usual Audrey H. I have never seen Repulsion but will look for it on Netflix. What fun to tie a movie to a memory that way.

Desert Diva said...

I haven't seen any movies lately - but bring on Richard Gere!

Nikki said...

I am a western nut. I love Tombstone and could watch it over and over. My all-time favorite movie is The Man From Snowy River...I love the music, the scenery and the story is awesome. As long as it is a cowboy movie I will go see it. All others face tough scrutiny before viewing! BTW, Wait until Dark is one of my fave Audrey Hepburn movies. She is soooo great! Never an actress has relaced her grace...fun post :)N

Luz said...

Many favorite movies out there but one I could watch over and over is Dances with Wolves. Another is Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. That movie was definitely a family movie that we would all sit down and watch. Tracy, Hepburn and Sidney! It doesn't get any better than that! The cheesiest movie of late that I have the DVD for is Alvin and the Chipmunks! LOVE IT!

Unknown said...

I love any movie with Audrey Hepburn in it!

I remember going to see Benji movies with my family when I was little and I always cried. :)