A grandmother is a mother who has a second chance

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my blogger friends. Hope you all have a wonderful day!


Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. The whole family is together just to be together - no pressure with gifts or anything else. Just eat (and eat, and eat, and eat), laugh, and be thankful that we are all together.


When I was a kid, I loved Thanksgiving. Since I didn't yet have an appreciation of family, my fondness for the holiday was mostly about food. Nothing like a slab of turkey nestled next to dressing and mash potatoes. All covered with gravy. And a big glob of cranberry sauce - my mom used the kind out of the can so we had these little purple circles on our plates.


One year we had a family with us at Thanksgiving who had just moved to Tucson from Chicago. There were two boys - Gary and Johnny. I was 12 and madly in love with both of them. They, of course, were 16 and 18 and did not notice the goofy little girl. But that day when they were at dinner with us, I only had a delicate dab of everything on my plate. And I took very small bites. Wanted to be a lady - much like Scarlett O'Hara in GWTW. I picked at my food, trying to look sophisticated in spite of my acne, buck teeth (pre braces days), ponytail and total lack of a personality. I nibbled, they ate and taked with my cousins. Then they left! They had other plans! Once they were gone and I realized that no marriage proposals were going to happen that day, I reloaded my plate in true Sandi style and proceeded to devour everything. I think I was almost glad they had left!

And just describing all that makes me hungry - think I'll go baste the turkey. Have a great day, everyone!!

7 comments:

namaste said...

that's a great story sandi. lol! isn't it funny how we ignored the boys our age and ogled the older ones? i watched my daughters do it too (still do).

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, to you and your family sandi! love & hugs from maria.

Nikki said...

Happy Thanksgiving Sandi! I am grateful for your friendship...:)N

It's Me said...

i can just see it now.....
LOL...
Happy T-G and I hope you didn't pull a Scarlet Ohara yesterday!!

Desert Diva said...

Too funny - I hope you and Ed had a great Thanksgiving!

MYM said...

Great story! lol

Happy Thanksgiving :)

Unknown said...

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I am laughing about nibbling daintily at your food. :)

Anonymous said...

Sandi, this is Cookie. I'm the next in line to share these same past memories. Going through the loss of Aunt's (Lu and Fanny) both two months apart 2008. I remember a lot of your grandparents also.