A grandmother is a mother who has a second chance

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Food "back in the day"

This morning I read an article about TV dinners. Those of us who were around in the 50's and 60's remember when those glorious little silver trays first came out. As the article said, it was totally cool to have metal TV trays and those segregated portions of "food".

And, of course, that reminded me of other foods we ate back then. Fresh vegetables weren't as plentiful back then, but frozen veggies was all the rage. Luckily we didn't eat too many vegetables out of a can - I mean gray peas !? Really?!? But we did eat the frozen stuff. Many a meal was rounded out by a solid square of spinach that was plopped in a pot of boiling water. You couldn't defrost them (don't even remember how that was done pre-microwave!) but they didn't take too long to melt down in the hot water and turn into lovely soggy vegetables floating in their own juice.

Another favorite of mine was pot pies. Specifically turkey pot pie. Our junior high had split shifts so I would get home around 1:30 pm. Mom worked so I was alone for a few hours. I'd pop a turkey pot pie in the oven and it would be done just about the time the Afternoon Movie was on tv. Always a good old black and white movie. I'd close the curtains, whip out the tv tray, and savor my pot pie and my movie. Some of the best afternoons of my life.

Fish sticks - I loved fish sticks! Don't even want to think about what might be in them, but back then it was pure heaven. Especially if there was some frozen corn and mashed potatoes to go along. Do they even still make those?

Jiffy-Pop Pop Corn. Watching that foil top puff up, smelling the burned kernels (there were always burned kernels). Both entertaining and delicious!

Alas, none of these items are in my diet anymore. But they sure to evoke some wonderful memories.

3 comments:

Pam (Rowe) Iwamoto said...

I remember TV dinners (I'm 43) in the foil trays. What poor nutrition we were offered in those things!

Jiffy Pop: I buy them when we go camping (yes, I hate camping too!). They never pop fully and I'm left with burnt pre and post-popped kernels.

I love your blogs, Sandi!

Mellodee said...

I only liked one kind of TV dinner -- fried chicken! My mom never fried chicken on her own, she didn't do complicated very much. And way before KFC appeared the TV dinner was as close to Southern Fried Chicken as I ever got. That's the only one I would eat though! Yhe others all looked like mystery meat surprise!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to say that my son actually likes those frozen pot pies, even when I make one "for real" instead. And I thought I was a good cook! ;-)